Vintage Alvis Maintenance
Ignition timing and setting up a Magneto on my Alvis TG 12/50
Valve clearances - Rule of Nine
My father taught me the “Rule of 9”.
• If valve #1 is open then valve #8 will be closed…
• if valve #2 is open then valve #7 will be closed…
• if valve #3 is open then valve #6 will be closed…
i.e. the sum of both valves comes to 9.
• Starting with valve #1 being open - you cannot turn the pushrod around - use the 6 thou feeler gauge to adjust valve #8.
• Now repeat this exercise until all eight valves have been adjusted to 5 or 6 thou.
This website contains my personal Maintenance schedule based on the late Micky Radford's "The Vintage Alvis Manual" and is supplemented by Lubrication charts from the Alvis TJ 12/50 Instruction Book. These project notes are based purely on my own experience and are not intended as advice or guidance to the reader.